I have to work, I have to do Grad school (for now) and I have to take care of basics that keep my life rolling. Really, the “perfect day” would include golf, beer, time with my family, a mountainside or beach or something like that. But given the limitations I have, I am going to explore a perfect day, week, month and year. Building a life that gives me what I want and that I am happy with. My shotgun spray of attention to things right now isn’t providing that. I feel harried and hectic, sluggish and way out of shape. If I am going to build a schedule of a perfect day, I have to start with somethings I hope to get out of my day. Here they are:
- Time with my family. Some days pass and I see very little of my kids, especially Juliet, and my wife. That seems crazy to me.
- Time to work out. It is not approaching two years since I have been regularly active. Two years. That is just crazy, especially if I want #1 to happen for a long time.
- Time to do be good at work and school. There are periods in my life when I am just treading water as a teacher. I want to be able to spend time enjoying my job and my role as a grad student. I have made a choice to do both. Might as well have fun with them and feel good about what I am doing.
- Time to chill, nap, relax, walk, pick lint out of my bellybutton, or whatever else I want to do. A bit of “ME” time.
- Blog. I like it. It helps me think and grow.
With all this in mind, here is a Daily schedule that can allow for all of this. Sacrifices have to be made, but the rewards are there too.
5:30- Wake Up and Head to the Gym for an Hour of Working Out.
6:30- Home and walk the dog
7:00- Shower, Breakfast and off to work
8-3:30/4:00- Teach, plan and work at school
4:00-5:00- ME time. Do whatever I feel like doing…other than work.
5:00-7:30/8:00- Family Time- Dinner, baths, play with the kids, bedtime.
8:00- Grad School/Blogging/Planning
9:00- Chill time with TV and (hopefully) Staci
If I were to follow this, the breakdown is as follows:
Family Time 3-4 hours
Work- 8 Hours
Grad School 1 hour
ME/Workout/Chill 3 hours
Clearly, work intrudes on this (I have evening study hall once each week) and there will be days when I have so much to do I have to break away from what I want to do. That’s life. Key here though is hat while I am very willing to plan out the things I “have” to do, so often I simply hope I will be able to find things I “want” to do. This should help with that.
In fact, I see that I am in my “ME” time. I have tons of work to do, but if this is going to be real, I have to respect it. Perhaps a walk with my dog…